Purpose of This Blog

I've created this blog to inspire myself to continue to draw and write. Unlike Nora Ephron, I'm not writing about my neck getting old. I'd rather write about being alive.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Teaching While Sick

Ergg...I've been coming down with a super mucusy cold for the past few days, but now that I'm back teaching, it is raining head cold like a tropical storm.  Teaching when you're sick really stinks in some ways, and I know what you're thinking:  stay the hell home!  But we are just back from vacation, and another term ends in a few days, so I've got all this wrapping up to do for a couple of courses I teach for half a year only.
Yeah.  Stupid excuse, I know.

There are good things about being sick, though.  I noticed today at school that I wasn't trying to do three things at once.  I was happy just sitting in my chair, gesturing toward the blackboard without standing up there, pointing at each sentence, and calling on kids to come and diagram each one.  In a word, we were all wasted. I was weak and they were in a bit of a shock, finally realizing today, their second day back, that they are no longer at Key West, their Hawaiian beach house, or in Petra, Jordan.  It reminds me of Kuwait when I hear about all the vacation spots my kids visit.  Nobody is going to New Hampshire--it's all London, India, or their ski chalet in Colorado.

I am often in scattered energy at school, but when I'm ill, it disappears.  Normally, in  those three moments before the next class starts up, I'll frantically login to email, or research something ridiculous on the web.  It's like I have to use every moment for something.  No, I enjoy the fact of calmness when sick, nothing to be gained or lost, just floating in an enlarged head of mucus, underwater.

No comments:

Post a Comment